Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Happiness in this World » When Doctors Don’t Know What’s Wrong

The first patient I ever saw as a first year resident came in with a litany of complaints, not one of which I remember today except for one—he had headaches.  The reason I remember he had headaches isn't because I spent so much time discussing them but rather the opposite:  at the time I knew next to nothing about headaches and somehow managed to end the visit without ever addressing his at all, even though they were the primary reason he'd come to see me.

Then I rotated on a neurology service and actually learned quite a lot about headaches.  Then when my patient came back to see me a few months later, I distinctly remember at that point not only being interested in his headaches but actually being excited to discuss them.

I often find myself thinking back to that experience when I'm confronted with a patient who has a complaint I can't figure out, and I thought it would be useful to describe the various reactions doctors have to patients in general when they can't figure out what's wrong, why they have those reactions, and what you can do as a patient to improve your chances in such situations of getting good care.

More ...

http://www.happinessinthisworld.com/2009/04/26/when-doctors-dont-know-whats-wrong/