Sunday, August 29, 2010

Stroke at 20-Something? It Happened to Elizabeth Gates - The Daily Beast

Waking up to a pounding headache after a bachelorette party, The Daily Beast's Elizabeth Gates chalked it up to the revelry. Then she found she couldn't speak. Three months later, she writes about having a major stroke at an unthinkably young age.
On May 1, I suffered a stroke. Overnight I lost my ability to speak, write, and read. I'm not overweight and I don't have high blood pressure. I'm not overdosing on steroids and I don't take birth control. And I'm not in my 70s—I'm in my 20s. From everything I heard in health class, I was poised for optimal health.
I was doing everything right. Juicing every day? Check. Pescatarian? Check. Yoga? Check. Stopped smoking cigarettes (almost)? Check. Calling home once a week? Check.
How the hell did I have a stroke?
More ...
http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2010-08-22/stroke-at-20-something-it-happened-to-elizabeth-gates/?om_rid=NJ8CYO&om_mid=_BMcmk8B8TXO7fc