Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Doctors are with you at the beginning and at the end - Dr. Yoel Abells - National Post

A few years ago, I was sitting in the labour and delivery room of Mount Sinai Hospital in Toronto, waiting for a patient of mine to deliver. One of the nurses poked her head out of a delivery suite asking for help. A patient who had been pushing was not feeling well. As I walked in, the patient suddenly lost consciousness. Her heart stopped beating. I began resuscitative efforts while the patient’s obstetrician delivered the baby. By the time the arrest team arrived, the baby was born and the mother’s heartbeat was restored. At this point, her care was transferred to the team and I returned to my patient. I thought that this was the end of the story.

Three weeks after this event, an elderly patient of mine came to the 
office complaining of lower back pain. She was an apparent breast 
cancer survivor, having recently celebrated her fifth year of 
remission. After a careful examination, I concluded that she most 
likely had mechanical back pain. However, because of her past medical 
history of cancer, I ordered an X-ray of her back in order to ensure 
that the tumour had not invaded her bones. She never went for the X- 
ray. A few days later, I was notified that she had gone to Mount 
Sinai because the pain had become unbearable. Radiographs showed that 
the cancer was everywhere. Because it was compressing on her spinal 
cord, she could not walk and was admitted. It was clear that she was 
not going to survive.

It is not easy to tell someone that he or she is going to die. I will 
never forget entering her room. Her eyes told me that she knew. Yet I 
was struck by how happy she was to see me and how comfortable she 
made me feel. For her, I was a familiar face in unfamiliar circumstances. For me, she was a patient I had tended to for some 
time and was now about to lose. It did not seem fair. Suddenly, in 
hushed tones she drew me near her and said: “You know, the woman 
lying in the bed next to me—she’s going home tomorrow. She almost 
died in childbirth, but now she and her baby are going home.” I 
glanced beyond the curtain that divided the room and peeked at the woman sleeping in the bed. It was the patient I had help resuscitate three weeks earlier.

The paths of life intersect in unexpected ways. At that moment, I realized that in this room lay a microcosm of what we do as family physicians. We are there at the beginning and at the end. Our work is 
about life and death and the time in between. There are some things 
over which we have control and many things over which we do not. Yet, 
we are lucky because we share moments of sublime intimacy with our 
patients and can touch one another in profoundly precious ways. For 
all of this, we are truly blessed.

http://www.nationalpost.com/todays_paper/story.html?id=880373