Tuesday, July 21, 2009

When Weight Is the Issue, Doctors Struggle Too - NYTimes.com

The mother came out of the exam room to intercept me: she knew I would probably have to talk to her daughter about how she was gaining weight, she said, but please don't use the word "fat," or even "overweight." Don't make her feel bad about herself.

The girl was about 8, and when I plotted her growth chart, it was clear some balance had shifted over the past year, and her weight was increasing much too fast relative to her height. It was worth talking about.

But I was as conscious of my own body as I was of hers. How on earth, I was thinking, am I supposed to give sound nutritional advice when all they have to do is look at me to see that I don't follow it very well myself? How to reconcile that with her mother's reasonable request: Don't make her feel bad about herself? And taking it all together, how am I supposed to help stem the so-called epidemic of childhood obesity when not a week goes by that I don't break my own resolutions? What price the not-skinny doctor?

More ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/21/health/21klas.html?ref=health