Monday, January 6, 2014

Growing up unvaccinated: A healthy lifestyle couldn’t prevent many childhood illnesses.

I am the '70s child of a health nut. I wasn't vaccinated. I was brought up on an incredibly healthy diet: no sugar till I was 1, breastfed for over a year, organic homegrown vegetables, raw milk, no MSG, no additives, no aspartame. My mother used homeopathy, aromatherapy, osteopathy; we took daily supplements of vitamin C, echinacea, cod liver oil.

I had an outdoor lifestyle; I grew up next to a farm in England's Lake District, walked everywhere, did sports and danced twice a week, drank plenty of water. I wasn't even allowed pop; even my fresh juice was watered down to protect my teeth, and I would've killed for white, shop-bought bread in my lunchbox once in a while and biscuits instead of fruit, like all the other kids.

We ate (organic local) meat maybe once or twice a week, and my mother and father cooked everything from scratch—I have yet to taste a Findus crispy pancake, and oven chips ("fries," to Americans) were reserved for those nights when Mum and Dad had friends over and we got a "treat."

As healthy as my lifestyle seemed, I contracted measles, mumps, rubella, a type of viral meningitis, scarlatina, whooping cough, yearly tonsillitis, and chickenpox. In my 20s I got precancerous HPV and spent six months of my life wondering how I was going to tell my two children under the age of 7 that Mummy might have cancer before it was safely removed.

So the anti-vaccine advocates' fears of having the "natural immunity sterilized out of us" just doesn't cut it for me. How could I, with my idyllic childhood and my amazing health food, get so freaking ill all the time?

More ...