Friday, February 7, 2014

The Believer - The Empathy Exams by Leslie Jamison

My job title is Medical Actor, which means I play sick. I get paid by the hour. Medical students guess my maladies. I'm called a Standardized Patient, which means I act toward the norms of my disorders. I'm standardized-lingo SP for short. I'm fluent in the symptoms of preeclampsia and asthma and appendicitis. I play a mom whose baby has blue lips.

Medical acting works like this: you get a script and a paper gown. You get $13.50 an hour. Our scripts are ten to twelve pages long. They outline what's wrong with us—not just what hurts but how to express it. They tell us how much to give away, and when. We are supposed to unfurl the answers according to specific protocols. The scripts dig deep into our fictive lives: the ages of our children and the diseases of our parents, the names of our husbands' real-estate and graphic-design firms, the amount of weight we've lost in the past year, the amount of alcohol we drink each week.

My specialty case is Stephanie Phillips, a twenty-three-year-old who suffers from something called conversion disorder. She is grieving the death of her brother, and her grief has sublimated into seizures. Her disorder is news to me. I didn't know you could have a seizure from sadness. She's not supposed to know either. She's not supposed to think the seizures have anything to do with what she's lost.

http://www.believermag.com/issues/201402/?