Sunday, February 1, 2015

Why your doctor is always late - Business Insider

One of my biggest pet peeves in life is tardiness. I hate it when other people are late. It's as if they are not respecting my time.

But you know what? I hate being late myself even more. In fact, I cringe at the thought. Conscientious, successful people are on time.

Always.

So you can imagine that nothing irks me more than being late myself.

But I am late - 10 minutes, 30 minutes, sometimes even an hour. And what's worse? It happens on a daily basis. Yes, I'm late almost every single day as a primary care doctor.

This makes me feel overwhelmed and frustrated. It's the one aspect of my profession I truly wish I could fix.

But I've had to accept this unacceptable situation as the reality of working in primary care in the United States. It's a complex problem that is out of my control and it's a hard pill to swallow. However, that doesn't mean I can't try to offer a solution. And this podcast episode is my attempt to do just that.

More ...