Thursday, February 8, 2018

How to Not Die in America 

On the second Tuesday in June, I start to feel fluish. If this is 2016 and I'm still a freelance writer, I'm losing money immediately on the assignments I can't complete because my vision is blurry and my thoughts are erratic. If this is 2013, I am soon taken off the roster at the cafe where I work.

I am out of my mind with anxiety as I hobble to the clinic, sweating, and pay $60 for cough syrup, $300 for the 10-minute visit (if I even have that in the bank; it's about a week's worth of my earnings slinging coffee). Once I realize I can't keep down the cough syrup and start spitting up bile, maybe I'm so feverish and broke I stay in bed without realizing the bacteria I've inhaled is more lethal than the flu. So perhaps I just up and die right there.

But let's say I somehow make it to the hospital. A friend drives me, because a 15-minute ambulance ride can cost nearly $2,000, which I don't have. I'm struggling financially and I've fallen behind on my ACA payments. My friend realizes in the car I'm not making any sense, and that's because my organs have already begun to shut down. My temperature is well over 100. When the doctors can't figure out what's wrong, they submit me to a credit check before advanced treatment.

More ...

https://splinternews.com/how-to-not-die-in-america-1822555151?