Monday, May 14, 2018

Opinion | My Brief Trip to Cancerland - The New York Times

I knew, as soon as I heard the radiologist's voice on the phone, that the news wasn't good. "Is this an O.K. time to talk?" she asked. If everything was fine, she would have said that. Instead, she was saying, "I'm so sorry, but your biopsy came back positive for cancer."

Still in my pajamas, I scribbled down notes. "Will probably need lumpectomy and radiology. Find surgeon. Call this number." Of course, through the 10-minute conversation, the only word that really registered was "cancer."

What happened was this: A few months ago, I went for a mammogram. The doctors saw spots they didn't like. I wasn't concerned. Once you hit your late 40s, it's practically a rite of passage. You will see your mother's face when you look in the mirror. You will require a young child to fix your phone or explain a meme. And you, or a friend, or a sister, will get a call about her mammogram. Over the years, I've driven friends to get ultrasounds, and taken them home after needle biopsies. Everything always turned out fine, which reflects the statistics: Most women who have an abnormality on their mammograms will be O.K.

More ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/11/opinion/sunday/cancer-mammogram.html